.Blackboard Instructor Frequently Asked Questions
- Communication -
to FAQ Index
do I send email to my students from within Blackboard?
must put their email address into Blackboard to receive emails sent
through Blackboard. Students can change their email information
by clicking on My SLCC, then click on Personal Information and finally
Edit Personal Information.
For Instructors to send and email to students then can:
1) Click on Control Panel
2) Click on "Send email"
3) Click on the type of recipients to receive your email (All Users,
Single Users, etc.)
4) Add your subject and message
5) Click "Submit" at the bottom of the page
Blackboard forwards emails, but does not have it's own email system.
When you send an email using Blackboard, users will receive it in their
own personal email inbox.
How do I start an online (threaded) discussion for
my students to respond to?
1) Click on Control Panel - Discussion Board - then the "Add
Forum" button. Add a description of your Forum, which is
an "area" where threaded Discussions can take place.
2) Go back to your course Main Page.
3) Enter the "Discussion Board" by clicking the "Communication"
button on the left side of the screen and then selecting the "Discussion
Board" link on the page.
4) Enter the forum you wish to participate in by clicking the link on
5) Click the "Add New Thread" button.
6) In the "Subject" box type a brief subject what you are
going to say.
7) In the "Message" box type your message.
8) Select from the options given:
- Allow anonymous posts.
- Allow author to edit message after posting.
- Allow author to remove own messages.
- Allow file attachments.
- Allow new messages.
9) Click the "Submit" button on the bottom right of the page.
How do I use the Chat (Virtual Classroom)
feature on Blackboard?
The Virtual Classroom allows real
time communication with any student who is simultaneously using the
Virtual Classroom tool in Blackboard.
You can enter the Virtual Classroom through the Communication
link in your course. Once in the Virtual classroom you can key
in messages, draw graphics, and display websites which appear immediately
to students who have also initiated the Virtual Classroom on their computers.
For more information, download the Blackboard
5.5 instructor manual
Questions/Comments to Blackboard
• Florissant Valley: email@example.com
• Forest Park : firstname.lastname@example.org
• Meramec : email@example.com
| Contact SLCC | © 2002 St. Louis Community College | Problems on this Site?
| An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action College |
| Accommodations for Disabilities
| Disclaimer |
Revised 30 September, 2002