Haden D. Smith, AIA
Haden D. Smith, AIA
I am developing a private architectural practice, specializing in residential (single-family,
multi-family), both new construction and renovations/additions, as well as small
• Princeton University, Princeton, NJ. Architectural and Civil Engineering Studies, 1980-81.
• Washington University, St. Louis, MO. B.S. in Civil Engineering - 12/1984 & M. Arch. - 12/1987,
with additional graduate studies in Structural Engineering.
• Eli and Dean’s Scholarships, Washington University School of Architecture
• Dean’s List, Washington University School of Engineering, 3 semesters.
Management of projects and teams on small and large projects; management of small
professional office issues; Architectural project work on all phases of commercial,
institutional, and residential projects; computer skills implementing all types of software
and hardware; recent use of Building Information Management software in the form of
Autodesk Revit to construct drawings, schedules, and renderings from a single-source
database file; other recent work using Autdesk Architectural Desktop v3.3 (based on
AutoCAD 2002). Complete list of specific skills available upon request.
• Registered Architect, State of Missouri, since 1993.
• Member, American Institute of Architects, 1994 to present.
• Member, National Advisory Group of American Institute of Architects Technology in
Architectural Practice Professional Interest Area. 1999 through 2002.
• Member, National CAD Standard Project Committee, joint project of the National Institute of
Building Standards and American Institute of Architects et al, 2000.
• Engineer-in-Training, State of Missouri, 1988.
• Member of American Society of Civil Engineers, 1983-84.
• Charter Member, Washington U. Chi Epsilon CE Honor Society, 1983-84.
• Drawing published in Architectural Drawing: a Visual Compendium of Types & Methods, John
• Honorable mention in AIAS national student competition: THE ROOF OF THE FUTURE
project for Miami high speed rail terminal, 1987.
• Entry exhibited in Europe: “Seventh Heaven: A Place In The Park,” international competition
by the RIBA for Regent’s Park, London, 1983.
• Work published in APPROACH: Journal of the School of Architecture, Washington Univ., 1987.
• Articles published in the Missouri Historical Review:
“And It Was Red; Missouri’s New Supreme Court Building,” 7/1984.
“Covered Bridges, Sturdy Relics of Missouri,” 1/1980.
• Guest Instructor at Ross Elementary for first grade workshop focusing on geometric shapes in
the world of architecture, 2005.
• Volunteer Coordinator and presenter of “Structures Night” for Ross Elementary School, an
evening program for students and parents featuring a series of hands-on stations dealing with
various structural engineering concepts presented by professionals and students from the
Washington University School of Engineering, 2004.
1036 Oak Glen Circle
St. Louis, MO 63021
Cell: (314) 265-4227
email: Haden Smith
Haden Smith Website
Publications & Awards,
Related Skills and
Registrations & Memberships
• Professional volunteer for building design project at North Glendale Elementary School gifted
program, Grades K thru 5, Kirkwood, MO. The project involved the culmination of a broad-
based Structures unit, with a 2-week design project where students planned and designed
buildings on the computer using Revit software, spring 2004.
• Tour Guide for architectural tour of St. Louis, a day-long field trip at the end of the 2004 school
year for the North Glendale Elementary Gifted students.
• Guest Instructor for Architecture and Urban Planning Workshop for children as part of First
Grade Day at the Arts, Westchester Elementary School, Kirkwood, MO, 1999.
• Guest speaker on bridge design, middle school gifted program, Kirkwood School District, 1997.
• Career Days volunteer, 1st grade elementary class, Kirkwood School District, 1997.
• Volunteer work for the Eugene Field House Museum, St. Louis, MO.
• Volunteer for “Math & Science Day,” The Alliance, school-business-community partnership in
St. Louis, MO 1994.
• Junior Achievement elementary school volunteer, 2 years.
• Cub Scout Den Leader, 4 years.
• Little league baseball team manager and coach, 6 years.
• Eagle Scout, 1977
1996 to present Haden D. Smith, AIA, Architect St. Louis, MO
Architect, Sole Practitioner
• Residential Projects:
New Residence, New Jamestown Neighborhood of St. Louis County, MO. Currently in
Schematic Design Phase of work on new 2-story residence, approx. 3200 SF, on 3 acre site.
New Residence, Eureka, MO. Projecct for neo-pueblo style 1-story residence with courtyard
on 3 acre site overlooking the Meramec River Valley, developed through bid documents for
retired couple, but never built.
Addition to Residence in Clayton, MO. Single-story guest-room suite addition to 2-story
brick residence. Developed through Schematic Design with Cost Estimate, 2002.
Interior Renovation of ground floor den into efficiency kitchen/living space in R.C. Smith
Residence, Columbia, MO, 2002. Construction completed 2004.
• Small Commercial Projects:
Clovers Natural Foods, Eastgate Building, Columbia, MO. Coordination with tenant
architect on exterior & interior renovations of former coin laundry space, 2005.
Taum Sauk Wilderness Outfitters, Columbia, MO. New storefront renovation for small
camping and outdoors store in downtown business district, 1996.
Exterior & Entry Renovations to the Eastgate Building, Columbia MO, a multi-tenant retail
building with grocery store and other tenants, 1994.
Calhoun’s, Columbia, MO. Storefront and full interior tenant space renovation for small
boutique shop including a new loft space at back of building in business district, 1993.
Feb. 2002 to present Gunn & Smith Architects St. Louis, MO
• Work from Schematic Design through construction on high-end residential additions in Ladue,
Clayton, and other parts of St. Louis County, MO, ranging in size from $300,000 to $3,000,000;
Work has included a high level of interior and exterior detailing of millwork, trim, & masonry, as
well as thorough coordination of electrical, structural, mechanical & acoustical requirements,
along with the architectural design issues; Often involves a high level of ongoing communication
with clients and contractors, including construction administration.
• Management of a developing small architectural practice including development of office
procedures and standards, project and team assignments, project management, and professional
development of junior employees and in-house training in various software systems.
For Spring 2006 St. Louis Community College at Meramec Kirkwood, MO
• Instructor for Introduction to Computer Aided Architectural Drafting using AutoCAD 2006.
• Instructor for Spring Continuing Education Workshop on Autodesk Revit 8.1 for Architects.
2001 to 2002 Chiodini Associates Clayton, MO
Project Manager, CAD Manager
• Work from Schematic Design through Construction Documents on Federal Reserve Bank,
St. Louis, MO.
• Design, installation, & implementation of CAD system using AutoCAD 2000i & Architectural
Desktop v3, including documentation, training, and consultant collaboration.
2000 to 2001 Heine & Croghan Architects, Inc. Richmond Heights, MO
Senior Project Architect
• Work from Masterplanning through Construction Documents on Municipal Utilities Facility
including maintenance, offices, & cable TV head-end facility for the City of Poplar Bluff, MO.
2000 Stauder Architecture Kirkwood, MO
• Work through completion of Design Development Phase of church expansion for Our Lady
Queen of Peace in House Springs, MO.
• Schematic Design work for St. Joseph Parish in Farmington, MO additions to worship space,
fellowship hall, and school facilities.
1997 to 2000 Christner, Inc. Clayton, MO
• Project Architect and Construction Administrator for Marshall Browning Hospital Addition,
1-story Emergency and Radiology Department addition to hospital, DuQuoin, IL.
• Project Architect for Clayton School District Administrative Center, a 2-story office with
clerestory/vaulted ceiling in upper floor and Information Technology facilities in lower floor
overlooking Shaw Park in Clayton.
• Project Architect for new building for Almost Home, catholic-funded residence with 15 units for
young single mothers and their children.
• Senior Project Architect for Edgewood Children's Center, multiple new building/renovation
project including classrooms, residence hall, and training center.
• Project Architect and Construction Administrator for renovation / new lab facilities for Incyte
Pharmarceuticals in St. Louis County.
• Construction Administrator for new Fine Arts building and academic addition at Maryville
University in St. Louis County.
1994 to 1997 Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum, Inc. St. Louis, MO
Project Architect, Associate, Corporate Offices Group 1996 - 1997
• Architect from Schematic Design through Construction Documents and Tenant Improvements
phases of new $60 million multi-building corporate office campus in Denver, Colorado for Sun
Project Architect, Associate, Healthcare Group 1994 - 1996
• Co-Project Architect, Northwestern Memorial Hospital, Chicago, IL, $800 million replacement
hospital and medical office building for Northwestern University School of Medicine.
• Co-Project Architect, additions to the Muny Theater, St. Louis MO
• Project Architect, garage structure for Lambert Airport expansion.
1993 to 1994 Kennedy Associates, Inc. St. Louis, MO
• Co-Project Architect on Gateway Elementary and Middle School complex, new urban magnet
school complex in St. Louis, MO.
1988 to 1993 Hellmuth, Obata & Kassabaum, Inc. St. Louis, MO
Architect 1990 to 1993
• Architectural work on all building types in Schematic Design through Construction Documents
and Construction Administration.
• Projects included St. Louis Federal Courts; Timika Hotel, Indonesia; New York Hospital and
Foley Square office bldg, Manhattan; L.A. Central Jail.
• CAD Coordinator of Commercial/Developer Business Unit. Developed interdisciplinary systems
applications for project CAD work, including component input routines/libraries, and data
organization systems, and coordinated the work of architectural production teams using CAD.
Structural Designer 1988 to 1990
• Project Designer for additions to Federal Reserve Bank, St. Louis MO.
• Design and CAD work on RLDS Temple, Independence, MO
1988 Missouri Highway & Transportation Dept. Jefferson City, MO
Structural Designer, Bridge Division
• Design, analysis, and rating of steel, reinforced concrete and prestressed concrete bridge
superstructures, substructures and foundations.
1987 to 1988 Peckham & Wright Architects Columbia, MO
• Design and construction document phases and specifications for residential, office and large
scale site planning and code study projects.
• Implementation and development of CAD system.
• Structural design of frames, footings, and wall systems.
1984 to 1987 Hastings & Chivetta Architects Clayton, MO
• Project work covered all architectural phases of office, retail, highrise residential, recreational
and civic facilities. CAD training and office library/standards development for
production/project management, and a three-dimensional database of central business district
• Responsibilities included training entire office architectural staff in HOK Draw CAD system,
including training outline and small-group lesson plans.
1984 to 1987 Washington Univ. School of Architecture St. Louis, MO
Teaching Assistant, Computer Graphics Internship
• Assisted in teaching graduate level course in Computer Aided Design.
Research Assistant, Urban Research & Design Center
• CAD analysis, planning and facilities management of University Campus, and three-dimensional
color database of Downtown St. Louis.
Furnished upon request.