- Patsy Hill - Census records indicate that Patsy Hill was born in 1848 or 1849.
- Patsy Davis - My great great great grandmother, Miss Patsy Hill, age 21. In the
1870 Census Schedule Patsy was recorded as Patsy Davis a member of the Rufus Davis
family. She had a 5 month old son, Godfrey Hill.
The Davis family lived in Girard, Louisiana, a small farming town in Richland Parish.
The 1870 census records indicate that Patsy was born in Mississippi.
- Patsy Bracy - Patsy Hill married May Bracy November 29, 1877. (certificate)
The minister was John Finley and the witnesses were James Ross, Rus Estis and Aaron
Johnson. In the 1880 census schedule Patsy indicates that her parents were born in North
Carolina. Her son, Godfrey, is incorrectly listed as a 12 year old. She has three
additional children: Darruis (?) Davis, age 7, Mary Davis, age 5, and Riny Bracy, age 1.
- Patsy McGown - According to the 1900 census schedule Patsy Hill married
James McGown. She had two additional children Marylee Bracy, age 15 living with her and
Fretus Bracy, age 16 living with Godfrey Hill. There are two grand children listed as
living in the McGown household, Florence Hill, age 8 and Elbert Hill, age 6.
NOTE: James McGown was one of the founding trustees of Brightwater African Methodist
Episcopal Church of Alto, Louisiana, established 1896.
- Patsy McGown - According to the 1910 census records Patsy, now a 61 years old
widow, lived with her son Godfrey Hill. Other family member listed as part of the
household include: Florence Hill, age 17; Elbert Hill, age 16; Rankin Hill, age 13; Lucy
Hill, age 11; and Rina Jackson, age 6 (Patsy's grand daughter). The records also indicated
that Patsy Hill had 8 children and 3 were still alive.
- Patsy McDaniels - In the 1920 census records Patsy is listed as Patsy McDaniels
(may still be McGown). She is 72 years old and part of the Godfrey Hill household. Other
family member in the household include; Isabella Hill; age 25; Dora Lee Johnson (Aunt
Honey), age 9; and Patty Lark, age 7. The family suffered the loss of Florence Hill Lark,
who died of influenza in 1918. The Hill and Lark families shared the responsibility of
raising Dan and Florence's four children.
- Patsy McDaniels - Patsy Hill died December 3, 1927. Death Certificate list Diana
Hill as mother and Godfrey Hill, Sr. as father. Her son Godfrey is listed as the
[ Meet My Child | Ancestorial
Timeline | Return To Main History ]