Antioch on the Orontes was the third largest city in the Roman Empire.

Photograph of a 4 x 4 meter excavation unit that uncovered the foundations of the House of Aion within the Justinian walls in an effort to locate the main east-west street in the sector designated by 15-M. (Committee for the Excavation of Antioch-on-the-Orontes 1932-1939, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University).

Mosaics belonging to the apse in the foundations of the House of Aion. (Committee for the Excavation of Antioch-on-the-Orontes 1932-1939, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University).
Figurines Beads Glass Lamps Pottery Mosaics Christianity Metal Tombs Architecture Roman coins Byz/Medieval coins Spindle Whorls Bells Rings Fibula Sculpture Greek Inscriptions Arabic Inscriptions

Column drum with raised relief cross and traces of a Syriac inscription in the Antioch city museum.


Amira Fuller seated on the ruins of the city walls of Antioch preserved on the hillslope above the modern city.

Church of St. Peter church built on the hillside above the city.


Orontes River flowing the center of modern Antkaya, Turkey.


Orontes River flowing the center of modern Antkaya, Turkey.

All artifact and period images digitally copied from the archives of Princeton University Art Museum. Special thanks for their assistance in this research. All images are their property.
Webpage constructed 28 April 2015
Webpage updated 13 Novembrer 2015