Offers an extensive database of links to all things Castle related
18 February 2001
Medieval Era Archaeological Sites
Crusader Era Sites in Greater Syria
Qalaat Maniqa / Castellum Malavans
We visited the caslte on 23 July 2000
ca. 1000 Original construction by Arabs
ca. 1100 Taken over by Byzantine
1118 Crusaders take control
1160 Ismaelis control castle
1186 Crusaders (Hospitallers) control castle for Bohemond III or Antioch
1270 to 1273 Ismaelis control castle
1273 Captured by Baybars
GPS information for Maniqa
1. Tower in southeast corner
North 35o 14.054' and East 036o 05.789'
Approximate elevation 656 meters
2. Square tower along east wall
North 35o 14.065' and East 036o 05.789'
Approximate elevation of 2142 ft.
3. Square tower along east Wall
North 35o 14.074' and East 036o 05.800'
Approximate elevation of 2158 ft.
4. Square tower along east Wall
North 35o 14.092' and East 036o 05.806'
Approximate elevation of 2151 ft.
5. Northeast corner of donjon near rock cut chasm
North 35o 14.096' and East 036o 05.848'
Approximate elevation of 2199 ft.
6. Northwest corner of donjon near rock cut chasm
North 35o 14.130' and East 036o 05.792'
Approximate elevation of 2146 ft.
7. Along west wall of castle
North 35o 14.101' and East 036o 05.777'
Approximate elevation of 2189 ft.
8. Along west wall of castle
North 35o 14.090' and East 036o 05.759'
Approximate elevation 2164 ft.
9. Along west wall of castle