Offers an extensive database of links to all things Castle related
18 February 2001
Medieval Era Archaeological Sites
Crusader Era Sites in Greater Syria
|Saone / Saladin's Castle|
948 site occupied by Saif al-Dawlah
975 occupied by Byzantine troops during the time of Emperor John Zimtzis
Fell to the Cruaders
GPS data for Saone:
1. Gate into castle used by tourist
North 35o 35.728' and East 036o 03.429'
Approximate elevation 1411 ft.
2. Famous Drawbridge over chasm in center of site
North 35o 35.800' and East 036o 03.506'
Approximate elevation 1443 ft.
3. Bath complex under excavation during 2001
North 35o 35.766' and East 036o 03.452'
Approximate elevation of 1771
4. Mosque near palace and bath
North 35o 35.746' and East 036o 03.453'
Approximate elevation of 1446 ft.
5. Palace near mosque and bath
North 35o 35.755' and East 036o 03.433'
Approximate elevation of 1527 ft.
6. Tower of the Girls (Binat)
North 35o 35.747' and East 036o 03.333'
Approximate elevation of 1439 ft.