Tell er-Retaba is a major archaeological site in the
Wadi Tumilat of Egypt. The Egyptian Antiquity Authority granted permission to Professor
Hans Goedicke (Johns Hopkins University) to conduct a survey
and excavation at Retaba during 1977, 1978, and
1981. The drawings, photographs and some preliminary
conclusions presented at this website are solely the conclusions of
Michael Fuller (based upon his work at
the site as architect during 1978 and 1981). To date, the work from 1977, 1978, and
1981 has not been published though some aspects were reported in lectures given at the
annual meeting of the American Research Center in Egypt and at the St. Louis society
of the Archaeological Instiute of America.
Click Here for GEOGRAPHY
Click Here for 1978 SEASON
Click Here for 1978 SEASON pottery
Click Here for 1981 SEASON
Click Here for 1981 SEASON jar burials
Click Here for more 1981 SEASON pottery
Click Here for 1981 SEASON profiles
Systematic archaeological investigation in the Wadi Tumilat began in the 19th century.
Edouard Naville excavated on behalf of the Egyptian Exploration Society at Tell el-Maskhuta
in 1883 and Tell el-Retaba in 1885. Sir Flinders M. Petrie came to Tell el-Retaba in 1906 to
reinvestigate the site on behalf of the British School of Archaeology in Egypt. The excavations
at the site during 1978 and 1981 confirmed several of the architectural features mapped by
Petrie and located numerous pits and trenches that Naville had excavated.