Southwest Missouri State University student excavation at
Turner Station Site (23GR10A)
during the summer of 1974 as part of the James River Basin Archaeological Project, sponsored by
the Youthgrants program of the National Endowment for the Humanities.
Youthgrants in the Humanities (part of the National Endowment for the Humanities)
awarded a grant of $10.230 to SMSU
during the summer of 1974 to carry out the James River Basin Archaeological Project.
Michael J. Fuller served as project direct with assistance from faculty supervisors
Professor John Northrip and Dr. Gerrit tenZythoff. The summer project undertook excavations at
several prehistoric sites (23GR10, 23GR303, and 23WB60). The project also included a detailed
site survey and ecological survey in Webster and Greene Counties, Missouri.
Aerial Photograph of Turner Station site during Highway
construction of Route D. Photograph taken facing South. Abandoned channels of the James River
are clearly visible, but not significant crop marks associated with archaeological
features were detected.
Turner Station bridgework facing eastward.
Turner Station bridgework facing westward. The cluster of
cars parked in the foreground are near the location where construction crews uncovered a prehistoric
house and a central hearth. The construction company did not allow documentation or study of the
structure. A radiocarbon sample from the central hearth yielded a date of 1325 B.P. equal to
AD 625 +/-130 (UGa-889).
Turner Station bridgework facing eastward during the
first days of clearing timber and before grading the floodplain.
Profile of a test pit excavated at
the Turner Station Site (23GR10A)
during the summer of 1974 by undergraduate students from Southwest Misouri State
Line drawing of serrated Howard points
associated with Caddoan culture and found at 23GR10a.
Mississippian Triangular and Crips Ovate arrowpoints
Reed Points used to tip arrows from 23GR10a.
Scallorn points (left) and other misc. Mississippian
point types from 23GR10a.
Updated 12 February 2004