Reconstruction of the alternating basalt and limestone columns in the Area D basilica.
Decorated nozzle portioin of a clay oil lamp from excavation unit D-9, Reg. No. 1086,
Test trench units D-3 and D-2 that were excavated in 1984 under supervision of
Dr. John Grothe,, Concordia Seminary. Two capitals are in the foreground (
L. 3007 with a raised relief cross and L3003 out of basalt). A basalt capital
(L. 2007) and a base (L. 2009) can be seen in the background.
Capital with cross (Locus 3007) in trench D-3.
Small portion of floor that was not robbed of its marble decoration.
Basalt base in test trench unit 2.
Large limestone capital decorated with a pin-wheel design..
Large limestone capital situated at the entrance of the Area D basilica.
Red Marble column on the surface of Area D basilica. The source was neither Palestinian
or Syrian. Looters stole the column between excavation seasons.
Top plan from Abila of the Decapolis webpage.
Marble fragment from Area DD (near Area D). Inscription would read [IH]COY +
"Jesus" as in Luke 18:38. Discovered 1996 in Area DD, Square 17.
Intact Byzantine Glass lamp from Square 5, locus 004, discovered during 1994.
Dated to ca. AD 500.
Intact Byzantine Glass lamp and fragmentary lamps from Square 5, locus 004, discovered during 1994.
Dated to ca. AD 500. The metal circlet is a modern replica.
Paleo-lithic flint handaxe from between Areas D and B.