Artifacts related to Christianity excavated by the archaeological expedition to Antioch




Bronze cross pendant. Reg. No. b64 - U 625. Length = 27.4 mm, width = 21.3 mm, thickness = 1.2 and weight = 1.6 grams. The loop hole is 2.7 mm and exterior diameter = 5.7 mm. [Study collection of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Fragment "A" of a column from the Martyrion excavated in 1939. This was most likely part of the martyrium of St. Babylas (c. AD 379) at Kaoussie, just outside the city. Reg. No. b64 - U 625. [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]

Foot to a Byzantine wine amphora that was decorate with the sign of the cross with dot in each quandrant. Found in the East end trench 4 that was situated near the House of Aion in excavation area 15-M. The height of the surviving fragment = 6.5 cm and the diameter of the circle around the cross is 1.1 cm.. Reg. No. c846 - P2666. [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]

Foot to a second Byzantine wine amphora that was decorate with the sign of the cross with dot in each quandrant. Found in trench 4 that was situated near the House of Aion in excavation area 15-M. The height of the surviving fragment = 7.6 cm and the diameter of the circle around the cross is 1.25 cm. Reg. No. c845 - P2665. [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]








Fragment of a limestone roundel, decorated on both sides, found in 1935 during excavation work in Area 27 P; the artifact was discovered in dirt being dumped from the excavation area. Nearby architectural remains were dated to the 5th century. Pottery sherds in the same fill included Early and Late Roman sherds. The Hunter's mosaic was in the same general area of the excavation. Diameter = 15.2 cm, thickness = 4.35 cm and weight = 441.0 grams. Reg. No. 5464 - S 303. [Study collection of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Two eulogia made from clay and decorated with a molded design; pilgrims would purchase a token like this believing it contained a small pinch of ash from the true cross. Both tokens show some edge damage that does not appear modern; pilgrims would combine a small amount of a token into wine or oil so its healing powers could be ingested or applied to the skin.

The right eulogia was discovered during 1934 field season at Antioch. Length = 35.0 mm, width = 38.5 mm, thickness = 13.2 mm, and weight = 13.3 grams. Reg. no. 3939 - T146.[Antioch Expedition, Museum of Art study collection, Princeton University.]

The left eulogia came from excavation unit MSD 319M Street 83.98 - 83.73. It is registration number 3939 - T147 and was recorded on 14-9-34 = September 14, 1934. The artifact card reords that it is 3.4 cm in diameter and 1.4 cm in thickness. The registrar described their reading of the scene as "The center one is standing facing slightly to the right - is haloed (?) and holds uncertain object in right hand. Before this figure is a kneeling figure; behind the central one is another standing figure look at the one in the middle." [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]


Fragmentary bronze cross. Reg. no. 5270 - U338. [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]



Fragmentary bronze cross. Reg. no. 5493-U377. [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]


Bronze cross pendant with inscribed decoration. [Antioch Expedition, Department of Art and Archaeology, Princeton University.]



Stone reliquary displayed in the museum of Antakiya, Turkey and photographed in 2003.
Webpage constructed 8 May 2015
Webpage revised 14 November 2015