Pottery vessels and sherds excavated by the archaeological expedition to Antioch


Pilgrim flask form pottery vessel discovered when removing a tree over the Roman villa at Jekmejeh village during the 1939 field season at Antioch on the Orontes. Height = 17.7 cm, diameter = 14.4 cm, thickness = 9 cm and rim diameter = 3.9 cm. Reg. no. c626 - P2653. [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Two handled Byzantine amphora that was found in association with Byzantine coins and Late Roman C pottery ware during the 1939 excavation season in area DH-26-M/N - excavations at Antioch on the Orontes. Height = 48 cm, max body diameter = 24.5 cm and rim diameter = 9.5 cm. [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Wine amphora found in a sealed context under a Roman floor mosaic during the 1939 field season in area DH-26-M/N - excavations at Antioch on the Orontes. Height = 94.5 cm, maximum body diameter = 29.4 cm, and diameter at rim = 13.4 cm. [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Pottery urn found in a Roman tomb at Antioch. [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

x [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

x [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Medieval pottery bowl with sgraffito design. Green and brown color under a clear glaze - Class VIF5c. Waage (1948: Figure 65). Class VIF5c [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]


Six Medieval pottery sherds with sgraffito design. [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]



Medieval pottery bowl with sgraffito design of a cross; belonging to ceramic Group XIIC2a. Waage (1948: Figure 86.1). [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Medieval pottery bowl with sgraffito design - ceramic group Group XIIC2a.. Waage (1948: Figure 83.1). [Excavation photographs of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Drawing of a kiln support/spacer found during the excavation. Reg. no. 4750 - T206. 13-4-35 (April 13, 1935). The comments for this "pinkish-tan clay" artifact indicate that it was discovered in the Southeast Cemetery, Area A, under a cement floor. The excavation registry card records it as a pottery stand and not a kiln support. [Excavation records of the Princeton Art Museum.]

Another kiln space was recorded on 7/4/37 (April 4, 1937) and registered as A57I - T29I. It was specifically noted as within 2.3 meters of an oven (kiln) in Area I7 - 0. It was described as made from coarse, buff clay and measure 37.7 cm in length with arm diameter of 4.3 cm. The registration card notes "bubbly, green glaze." This is clearly a Medieval kiln spacer.
Waage, Frederick G.
1948 Antioch-on-the-Orontes IV:1, Ceramics and Islamic Coins. Princeton University Press, Princeton.
Webpage constructed 8 May 2015
Webpage updated 14 November 2015