Icons in the
Nizhny Novgorod State Art Museum.
I visited this museum and took these digital images on 7 June 2006 as part of a Fulbright study grant project in Russia.
Full view of the icon entitled the "Vision of Sexton Tarasius." It was painted approximately AD 1550 - 1600. From the Cathedral of thoe Transfiguratino of Our Savior in the Khutyn Monasatery. The icon shows the bridge which spanned the St Sophia and Marketplace Sides of Nizhny Novgorod.
Detail of the Vision of Sexton Tarasius, painted approximately AD 1550 - 1600.
Detail of a walled monastery in the Vision of Sexton Tarasius.
Detail of a church in the "Vision of Sexton Tarasius."
Detail of a chapel in the "Vision of Sexton Tarasius."
Detail of Medieval houses in the "Vision of Sexton Tarasius."
Icon dedicated to the martyred saints Florus and Laurus. The icon was painted approximately AD 1500 - 1600 in Nizhny Novgorod. The twin brothers Florus and Laurus were given the gift of understanding horse by the Arch-angel Michael.
Lower portion of the icon showing three horsemen sending horses to water. The horsemen are the saint martyrs Spevsipp, Elevsipp and Melevsipp (from appxoimately AD 161 to 180); they are also considered protectors of horses. .
Detail of the icon with Arch-Angel Michael and horsemen.
Detail of the icon showing a herd of horses.
Detail of Saint Florus.
Detail of Saint Laurus.
Icon of Saints Constantine and Helena, painted approximately AD 1500 to 1600.
Saint Helena is revered among Orthodox because she was responsible for the discovery of the True Cross in AD 326 and she consecrated chapels at several sites in Palestine and in the Sinai. St. Helena made her pilgrimage in modest dress and mingled with the local Christians setting a course of conduct for all future Christian pilgrims. She traveled with Eutropia (half-sister of Emperor Constantine).
The miracle associated with the battle between the Novgorodians and the Suzdalians that tool place in AD 1170. The miracle took place when the icon of the Virgin of the Sign was taken from the Church of the Transfiguration of the Savior and placed on the walls of the city. Probably painted in approximately 1450 to 1500.
The icon is brought from the monastery
The Suzdalians shoot arrows at the icon.
Detail of the Suzdalians shoot arrows at the icon.
Detail of the citizens of Novgorod defending their city.
Detail of the angel over the army of Novgorod defending their city.
Webpage constructed 25 November 2006