LEMP AVENUE SITE

 

HISTORY

THE SITE

ARTIFACTS

CREW

ABOLITION

LINKS

GROUND PENETRATING RADAR

The Artifacts

Two ink bottles were excavated in area 2 (21001) which is cistern

 

The inkwell on the right was manufactured by Maichildon & LeBlanc Dry
Goods in 1848.

Small medicine bottle on the left (21001) is a "Dr. Hoffman's Red
Drops" dating to the 1880's and was used for relieving menstrual cramps and
the bottle on the right is a Kaltwasser Drug Company medicine bottle dating
to 1883.

Small medicine bottle found in 2001

Floral pattern serving bowl found in area 4 (41001) which is cistern
#2 dates to the mid to late 1800's. Cistern #2 was actually underneath the
house addition of 3316 Lemp Ave. The later addition was removed and the
cistern was discovered.

Large floral wash basin or serving bowl was also found in the area 4
cistern (41001) and also dates to the mid to late 1800's.

Blue spongeware pot found in cistern #2 (41001) dating to the 1830's or 1840's.

Olive green bowl (41001) with molded relief pattern and trim. Cistern #2

Crock used for storage (41001), discovered in cistern #2

Large china molded lid (41001) cistern #2

Man's leather boot/shoe found at the bottom of cistern #1 (21004)

Studded bottom women's leather boot was found at the bottom of cistern #1 (21004). It is very well preserved because of the wet muddy conditions in the cistern kept
oxygen from the leath. It dates from the mid to late 1800's

Wooden cistern water bucket found at the bottom of cistern #1 (21004)
Dating from. mid to late 1800's

 
 
 
A cowry shell and an elephants trunk (carved from ivory) were found in unit 29 where they were sealed beneath the patio level with man other artifacts and animal bones. Excavations were particularly deep in unit 29 because the NE cornerstone of the house was approximately 3 meters below datum.
Cowry shells are used as decoration, currency and in ritual contexts by several African cultures. Cowry shells are highly unusual at archaeological sites in the Midwest. Likewise, the carved bone or ivory elephant trunk could reflect an artist with interest in Africa. Both artifacts can be considered evidence of an African or African-American historic presence at the site. Another class of relevant artifacts include carved wooden buttons that were discovered during the 1999 seasons. The examples from the Lemp site are virtually identical in style to one found in the slave quarters of the Mount Vernon Plantation (home of George Washington). The cowry shell and ivory elephant trunk were found on 6/14/2000 and 6/15/2000 in Square 29 in locus 4. The soil matrix was blackish streaks within a reddish (5YR2.5/2) soil.
The documentary evidence may suggest that the site was unoccupied until the end of the Civil War, but the artifact evidence indicates that it was occupied before the Civil War.
Porcelain doll's head found in the summer of 2000.
Civil War era muzzle loading lead bullets.
Many ceramic pieces from the excavation have been dated using makers marks and designs, with some dating to prior to the Civil War. Among them is a complete saucer from unit 28 with a makers mark from the Pankhurst Co., Hanley, England. This saucer was manufactured from between 1850 to 1852. Other pieces have been dated to a similar period, as has the unglazed teacup found near the outdoor hearth. These pieces do not directly date the site to that period, as they provide only a terminus post quem, but do allow the possibility that the site was occupied prior to the Civil War. In addition, an architectural historian has indicated that the method of construction of the house at 3314 Lemp is typical of German house construction in the 1840s and 1850s. The neighborhood itself was at one point largely occupied by German immigrants and their descendants. Many German immigrants were strong abolitionists.

Many cultural levels at the Lemp Site shed light on life in St. Louis after the Civil War. The cache of mouth pieces belong to a glass blowing operation after the Civil War. Other artifacts associated with glass blowing were found, including irregular glass lumps and nips.

John Burroughs student excavated the tea cup in the summer of 2000.
Both written documents and excavation suggest that a coal and lumber yard was once located on the property, and enough metal slag was found to suggest that at least some metal working took place at the site. Many handmade ceramic marbles have been recovered from the site. Marbles were commonly manufactured as part of a cottage industry.
Hackerman Bottle Ca. 1856.
Street car conductor's button, postCivil War.
French military button.
Bone bracelet from the mid 19th Century.
Michael Pfferkorn Numismatic and token expert identifies a Bastille Day Commemorative coin.