Rescue archaeological Research at the Lilbourn Site (23NM49)
was directed by Professor Carl H. Chapman of the University of Missouri - Columbia during the
1970s. Lilbourn was a palisaded town with a large central mound, smaller mounds,
and a plaza. Radiocarbon dates span from AD 1260 +/- 120 through AD 1440+/-60. The site is
discussed in detail in Archaeology Missouri, Vol. 2 by Chapman (1980) and volume 38 of
the Missouri Archaeologist (1977). One of the earliest archaeological excavations in
Missouri was conducted in the large temple mound during the 1856.
Chipped stone mace excavated by the archaeologial team from the University of Missouri - Columbia working the Lilbourn Site (23NM49) before the construction of a public school building.
Main Temple Mound of the Lilbourn Site (23NM49)
Archaeologists work in shadow of the
High School at the Lilbourn Site (23NM49).
Wall trenches for Mississippian houses at the Lilbourn Site.
Wall trenches house 9-71 (facing west)
with a cluster of infant burials east and south of the central raised hearth at the Lilbourn Site.
Interpretation of activity areas in Structures
1-72 and 1A-72 (excavated in 1972) by Bradford L. Rope and published in the Missouri Archaeologist
Vol. 38, pages 186-198 during 1977.
Structure 2-72 with double row of post molds.
Sectioned trashpit with cooking pot sherds in the fill at the Lilbourn Site
Large chunkie stone in a private collection from the Lilbourn Site.
Large stone effigy of an owl in a private collection from the Lilbourn Site.
Warning!: Click here only if you care to read about the rescue excavation of human remains
at the Lilbourn Site. The images have been removed.
Webpage created 22 November 2006
Webpage updated 4 Octo ber 2016