Randy J. Malta
32 Georgetown Circle
O'Fallon, MO 63366
Home (314) 926-9258
Office (314) 539-5054
Summary of Qualifications
- Twenty-six years of progressively responsible management experience in postsecondary, for-profit, non-profit business and community settings.
- Progressive leadership in instructional design and instructional technology.
- Demonstrated business, marketing and collaborative skills that increase education revenues.
- Creative strategic planning, instructional design for online, hybrid and web enhanced classes.
- Focused leadership and team participation.
- Interpersonal and collaboration skills.
2005 - Present
Manager, Telelearning Programming. St. Louis Community College - Cosand Center
- Build state wide and district wide collaboration of a wide variety of interdisciplinary programs.
- Manage coordination with state wide colleges and universities to offer programming.
- Research the future trends in instructional technology.
- Review, evaluate and implement new technology for possible use in support of curriculum.
- Implemented and supported pilot IPod class project and synchronous live web based class projects.
- Plan, coordinate and implement activities related to state-wide and district-wide initiatives.
- Manage the maintenance of 13 technology classrooms across the college district.
- Develop, plan and manage area budgets and capital improvement projects with a budget of over $300,000.
- Selected by my media management peers to serve as the college liaison for membership in the New Media Consortium. An international consortium of new media units at colleges and universities.
1999 – Present
Adjunct Instructor. St. Louis Community College - Forest Park.
- Adjunct Instructor for a variety of Communications and Mass Communications classes in traditional classroom settings, hybrid and online classes.
- Develop and instruct classes in Oral Communications, Introduction to Video Production, Video Production-Field, and Introduction to Multimedia.
1998 – 2005
Manager, Media Services. St. Louis Community College - Forest Park.
- Provided a collaborative management environment for a diverse staff of creative media professionals.
- Developed a faculty advisory board to provide guidance to the department to facilitate ensuring serving all faculty members instructional support needs.
- Hired, directly supervised and empowered Audio Visual Support, Distance Learning Support, Graphic Design, Instructional Design, Instructional Video and Digital Photography staff.
- Successfully managed a department that offer training and instructional support to help faculty with integrating technology into classroom environments.
- Supervised twelve full time employees, 1 evening weekend part time employee and provided overview of 15-17 student assistants.
- Planned and managed area budget of over $600,000 and developed an annual three year capital media replacement plan.
- Led development and annual review of the department’s strategic plan and mission statement.
- Selected by Campus Leadership Team for my collaborative leadership skills to chair a college wide interdisciplinary faculty committee that developed and implemented a special projects capital funds instructional technology committee.
- Coordinated the college evening administrator schedule.
Manager, Video Production Services and Audio Visual Services. St. Louis University.
- Served as the manager for two instructional support departments. New position.
- Developed, planned and managed area budgets, production budgets and a full cost recovery system.
- Hired, trained and directly supervised media production, audio visual personnel and freelance staff.
- Maintained two departments which administration, faculty and staff relied on to meet or exceed their expectations by providing instructional support or high quality, creative, specialized instructional productions at a fair cost within a reasonable period of time.
- Led development of annual strategic plan and department mission statement.
- Member of the Library Management team/Communications Management team.
1989 – 1990
Video Production Coordinator. St. Louis University.
- Planned and developed a successful instructional design video production unit.
- Marketed video production, distance education and satellite downlink services to the University.
- Developed and implemented budget and capital purchases for the unit.
- Coordinated productions, hired, supervised and trained production staff and freelance staff.
1988 – 1989
Video Training/Education Specialist. Crane National Vendors, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Responsible for the instructional design, development and production of national corporate training/education programs, offered fee based customers training workshops, produced educational video, print and marketing materials.
- Designed, planned and assembled a production facility for use in producing training, marketing and corporate news programs.
Production Engineer. KPLR-TV, St. Louis, Missouri.
- Cameraman/Editor for news programs, commercials and syndicated television programs.
- Cameraman/Editor for the Emmy Award winning Whitey Herzog Show.
1982 – 1988
Biomedical Communications Producer. Galesburg Cottage Hospital, Illinois.
- Managed a Biomedical Communications production unit.
- Responsible for instructional design and complete development of programs for educational use.
- Coordinated teleconference downlink site.
- Provided video, print and photography services for hospital’s educational and marketing needs.
- American Hospital Association award winner for annual report and photography calendar.
- Marketed production services to outside clients to serve as a profit center for the health care corporation.
Volunteer Producer. Knox County United Way, Galesburg, Illinois.
- Produced fund raising video and print photography for use in annual United Way campaign drive.
Volunteer Photographer Knox County United Way, Galesburg, Illinois.
- Produced photography for United Way to use in print and multimedia presentations.
Internship. Davenport Convention Bureau/Rock Island Chamber of Commerce, Davenport, Iowa and Rock Island, Illinois.
- Worked with executive directors to produce TV commercials, brochures and multimedia shows.
Freelance Producer. Western Illinois Tourism Bureau, Rock Island, Illinois.
- Developed multi-media presentation to promote regional tourism.
1981 – 1982
Production Crew. Palmer Broadcasting WOC-TV, Davenport, Iowa.
- Operated video production equipment for news program, local programs and commercials.
2006 – Present
Distance Education Certificate Program, University of Wisconsin, 20 Credit hour Professional development curriculum designed to build knowledge, skills and leadership in distance education and training. http://www.wisc.edu/depd/
Master of Science, Corporate and Industrial Communications. (45 hour graduate degree program) Lindenwood University, St. Charles, Missouri.
Bachelor of Arts, Communications/Journalism. Marycrest College, Davenport, Iowa.
Other Councils, Committees, Associations
St. Louis Community College HLC Self Study – Served as member for the successful NCA Higher Learning Commission report on Request for Change. 2006- 2008. HUhttp://www.stlcc.edu/accreditation/UH
New Media Consortium – Serve as College liaison to consortium focused on new media uses in Universities and Colleges 2004-present. HUhttp://www.nmc.org/UH
District Institutional Affairs Council – Elected by council peers to serve as District Chair 2004-2005, Executive Committee member 2000-2005, elected member 2000-2003, 2006-2008, Information Technology Standing Committee Chair 2000 – 2002, 2006-2007 and 2007-2008, Operations and Procedures Standing Committee Chair 2002-2003. Innovator of the Year Standing Committee Chair 2004.
Cosand Center Institutional Affairs Council – Elected by council peers as Council Vice Chair 2007-2008, elected by peers as Member 2006-2008.
Forest Park Campus Institutional Affairs Council –. Elected by Council peers as Chair 2003-2004, elected council Vice Chair 2002-2003, Member 2001 – 2004.
Arabic Culture Grant – Grant to foster understanding for the Arabic culture. Produced educational video programs and training web site. 2006-2007.
One Book One College Committee – Charter member of the district wide effort to encourage students, faculty and staff to read the same book and participate in discussions and events related to the work. 2004 – 2008.
2008 USLDA Annual Conference – Serving on the United States Distance Learning Association’s Conference Sponsorship Committee and Hospitality Committee. 2007-2008.
Annual METC Conference – Serving on the St. Louis Cooperating School District Midwest Educational Technology Conference Advisory Committee, provide advice and select presentation. 2007- 2008.
Focus on Teaching and Technology Conference: Learning – Impact and Evidence – Serving on the conference planning committee covering logistics, finances, marketing and presentation selection. 2008.
U.S. State Department Grant for Macedonia Partnership – Provided leadership for planning, implementation and overseeing installation of smart classroom technology at the University of St. Kliment Ohridski, Macedonia. 2004.
District Library Technology Committee - Member. Create and recommend direction, policies, procedures, and practices for all district libraries technology initiatives. Major achievement is Archway project implemented on campus. 1998- 2001.
District Library Advisory Committee - Member. Provide input on library users issues. 1998-2001.
Diversity II Training – Participated in first college training program focused on indentifying privilege. 2008.
Forest Park Learning Achievement Center Advisory Committee - Member. The Learning Achievement Center is an academic support service dedicated to helping students attending St. Louis Community College achieve their educational goals. A variety of assistance is offered to all students who want to become more effective learners. 1998 – 2001.
District Distance Education Advisory Committee - Member. Start and continue Distance Education initiatives at St. Louis Community College. The committee implements recommendations of the Distance Learning Task Forces' work with any cost estimates to the Leadership Team. 2000-2002.H
Distance Learning Task Force - Member. Developed and implement a college wide coordinated distance learning plan. 1999-2000.H
Distance Learning Assessment and Evaluation Committee – Member. Produced procedures, processes, and assessment instruments to improve delivery mechanisms, support, and facilitation for all Distance Education modalities at St. Louis Community College. 2000-2001.
Web Services Task Force - Member. Researched, reviewed and recommended a web based course management system for augmenting classes and web based distance learning classes. 1999-2000. HUH
District Media Services Committee – Chair 1999, 2003-2004, 2005-2006, Member 1998 – Present. District media managers share best practice standards across the district and complete annual assessment.
Campus Technology Action Committee - Member. Review capital technology request and set campus technology priorities. 1998-2005.
Campus Multi Media Project Committee - Chair. Developed plan for choosing classrooms and installation of multi media equipment. Purchased other instructional equipment. Managed $300,000 budget and installation of equipment into 32 classrooms. 2000-2002.
Adjunct Faculty Orientation Committee - Member. Planned and implemented Adjunct Faculty bi-annual orientation. 1998 -2005.
Missouri Community College Association - 2001 Convention Advisory Committee. Reviewed and selected program submissions. Served as Media Coordinator for the 2001 annual conference.
League for Innovation in the Community College Conference on Information Technology - attendee 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003, 2004, 2005 and 2006. Presenter 2003 “Web Enhanced Course, Lessons in BlackBoard”
INFOCOMM Conference and Exhibition – Presenter 2004 “Remodeling Classrooms at Colleges”, Attendee 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007.
SLCC Leadership/Management Certificate program - 2002 Completed. 40 hour training program.
Assessment Workshop – Attendee 2000, 2001 James and Karen Nichols; Best Practices in Academic Outcomes Assessment workshop and College Services Assessment Workshop.
Professional Memberships – USDLA, International Communications Industries Association, Media Communications Association (past St. Louis Chapter President), Missouri Community College Association and Education Technology Association
OTHER: A continuing series of international conferences, seminars covering media production, distance learning, instructional design, leadership management, and assessment.
References for Randy J. Malta
Daniel Bain, Ph.D.
Director, Telelearning Services
St. Louis Community College – Cosand Center
300 South Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63102
Michael Fuller, Ph.D.
St. Louis Community College - Meramec
11333 Big Bend Blvd.
St. Louis Community College – Cosand Center
Mgr, Media-based Learning
St. Louis Community College
300 South Broadway
St. Louis, MO 63102