<![if !vml]><![endif]> Chris
<![if !vml]><![endif]> Mathematics Department
- I give 5 unit tests and I drop
the lowest test grade. I also give a comprehensive final examination. I
do not give make-up tests. If you miss a test, then that is your drop
test. The four highest tests and the final exam are each worth 20% of
your final grade.
- Although I do not collect or
grade homework, completion of all assigned problems is essential to a
thorough understanding of the material.
- Although attendance is not used
to calculate your grade directly, attendance is clearly an essential
factor in successfully completing any mathematics class.
- Usually each of the five unit
tests has a take-home part and/or a project which is due the day of the
test and worth 20 – 30 % of the test grade.
of Teaching Style
- I usually lecture about 80% of
the class time and have students work in groups about 20% of the class
- I present the theory and and
then show many examples.
- My lecture is more fluid than
- I always try to demonstrate
abstract concepts with real world examples.